Centers and Institutes at IUPUI
The establishment of centers and institutes at IUPUI is governed by the IU policy.
Application for IUPUI Center/Institute Status
Each application must contain the following information:
- Brief background statement (one paragraph)
- Name of proposed center/institute
- Primary school with which the center/institute will be associated
- Clear identification of the relationship of the center/institute administrative structure to the responsible school or campus
- Administrative location of the proposed center/institute
- Center/institute Director's name
- Names of participating faculty including their department, academic rank, and percent effort on the center/institute
- Names of other participating personnel, both full-time and part-time.
- A strategic plan that includes a mission statement, fully articulated goals, and a three year plan for achieving those goals. Keep narrative to a minimum using charts, diagrams or lists where possible. Not to exceed two pages.
- Unique aspects of the proposed center/institute when compared with other centers/institutes in similar areas of expertise
- Center/institute activities now in existence
- Interdisciplinary aspects of the center/institute and potential for collaboration with other centers/institutes.
- Is the proposed center/institute currently funded? If yes:
- Current amount of internal (campus) funding per year (direct cost) and funding mechanism. If there are multiple funding sources, please specify percent by source.
- Current amount of external funding per year (direct cost) and funding agency. If there are multiple funding sources, please specify percent by source.
- Space and support services currently available for the proposed center/institute
- A three year budget including personnel, equipment, supplies and facilities. Please use NIH form 398. Items that do not apply to your center/institute should be marked “not applicable”. Anticipated source and amount of funding available for the center/institute over the proposed three year budget period. Probable future funding sources
- Plans for the center/institute and its resources if expected future funding does not materialize in sufficient amounts to sustain the program.
- Letters of support from the Deans of all the schools participating in the proposed center/institute and up to 6 letters from other relevant parties if appropriate
- Biosketch for the Director and other individuals responsible for administration of the proposed center/institute. Please use NIH form 398.
Supplemental information (excerpts from planning documents, external proposals, etc.) may be appended.
The application should be submitted electronically to Sue Cassidy (email@example.com) in the IUPUI Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research. Approval, if granted, will be for three years with a review of performance at the end of three years.