Strategic Research Roadmap
The IUPUI Strategic Research Roadmap serves as the guidepost for the campus to reach its full potential in research and scholarly activity. The main elements of this roadmap consist of the vision, mission, and goals described below.
To be the best urban research university by conducting world-class research, scholarship, and creative activities that develop knowledge and contribute to the economic growth and social advancement of Indiana and the nation and benefit humanity as a whole.
To develop and expand innovative research programs that align well with institutional mission and strategic plan, address important national and global needs, and through technology transfer and commercialization noticeably support the economic development of Indiana and the nation.
- To capitalize on IUPUI's central location in the state's capital city and unique strengths to develop Indiana's research corridor linking IUPUI, Purdue University West Lafayette, and Indiana University Bloomington
- To build and sustain strategic research clusters of excellence that leverage existing university strengths, match well with future directions of the university, offer good career opportunities for university graduates that are of strategic importance to Indiana and the nation, and are in areas attracting significant extramural funding
- To expand regional, national, and international partnerships with industry, government, and academia in economic development
- To emphasize across the targeted strategic research clusters interdisciplinary initiatives that result in nationally and internationally recognized distinctive and innovative sponsored research programs
- To foster research partnerships, integrating research programs across campus, and promoting opportunities for collaboration with other campuses of Indiana University and Purdue University, as well as the not-for-profit and for-profit sectors
- To promote the protection, transferring, and commercialization of intellectual property, and develop links to economic development in Indiana and the nation, advancing Translating Research Into Practice and other initiatives with major economic and societal impact
- To foster systematic integration of the research experience in undergraduate programs, leading to research-based learning in the academic disciplines across the institution
- To promote alignment and optimization of graduate programs with respect to the strategic research clusters, including through development of distinctive doctoral programs, and to expand research opportunities and resources that attract and support a robust number of postdoctoral fellows